Historic Exmouth

Nelson House
Numb
er 6 The Beacon dates back to the late eighteenth century, when the first terrace of six houses was built. Lady Nelson occupied No 6 from 1801. She died in 1831 at the age of 70  and is buried in Littleham churchyard.

 

 

 

 

15 The Beacon
Home of Lt. Richard Sandford who was awarded the VC for conspicuous gallantry as the commander of the submarine C3 on the raid on Zeebrugge on St Georges Day 1918.He and his crew deliberately ran the explosive filled sub aground where it later exploded breaching the viaduct. He was wounded whilst escaping. Unfortunately his luck ran out on the 23rd November 1918,twelve days after armistice had been signed, of typhoid  fever aged 27.

 

Dolforgan Court
Mrs Charlotte Anne Hume Long came to Exmouth in 1875.Living at Dolforgan Court she became known as Lady bountiful. In 1884,she started the hospital in Clarence road and was its Matron. In 1886,she founded the Maud hospital and the Hope orphanage, both in Bicton Street. On her death in 1899 her son added to her legacy which subsequently created Exmouth Hospital. The foundation stone was laid in 1902.

The Royal Beacon Hotel
The Royal Beacon was once a Georgian posting House.
In 1844, The King of Saxon visited The Royal Beacon Hotel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Dear Leap
The Dear Leap used to be a historic building. Beneath the twentieth century facade it was one of the oldest buildings in the town. It was The Bath House. In the 1790's two local doctors established a hot and cold, salt, fresh or mineral bathing facilities. The business lasted into the early 1900s

 

 

 

 

Chester House
This was formally called Manchester House and was the home of Mary Anne Clarke, the notorious mistress of the Duke of York, brother of the Prince Regent. She came to live here in 1804.It is said that she sold appointments in the army with the alleged connivance of the Duke, it's commander in chief. While in Exmouth she lived in luxury but died in disgrace and poverty in Paris 1813.

 

Temple Winds
This is a late 18th century building erected at the foot of Beacon Fields. It was a pharmacy before 1830 and remained so until the 1960s.The recent name is from the copy of the Temple of the Winds in Athens, built in 1824 at the entrance to the Imperial Hotel and demolished in 1868.

 

The Manor Hotel
One of the first constructed on the Beacon in 1790,i5t was known as the Beacon Hotel. It is the oldest remaining hostelry in Exmouth. Honoured by a visit from composer and pianist Franz Liszt in 1840.

 

 

 

Byron Court
Lady Byron, the wife of the famous poet lived here at No 19 in the days when it was a hotel. There were so many of the gentry staying in Exmouth that it was regarded as a fashionable resort.

 

 

Allen-Williams Turret
The turret is one of the few remaining in the country. It was originally at the entrance to Exmouth Docks. Two men from the Home Guard operated the turret. During the Second World War Exmouth’s coastline was protected by a variety of defenses, including, barbed wire fences, which ran the length of the beach.

 

Gunfield Gardens 
The Gardens used to be known as The Gun Cliff and controlled the channel approach to the River Exe. It was garrisoned during the Civil War, controlling access by the sea in the siege of Royalist Exeter.

 

 

 

 

 

Glenorchy Church

The original Glenorchy Chapel was founded by Wllielma, Viscountess Glenorchy ,in 1777 following her visit to the town the previous year with her personal Chaplain. She organized a meeting in the 'Long Room' of The Globe Inn. A dwelling house was bough initially, converted for worship and was the first nonconformist chapel in Exmouth. The present church was built in 1866 on the site of the earlier chapel.

 

Exmouth Library
This site used to be the Manor House of Rill or Hill, a sub-Manor of Marpool. Which was occupied in the early 18th Century by Sir John Colleton. He brought the first Magnolias with him from South Carolina, which he developed by mutation to produce the 'Magnolia Grandiflora Exmouthiensis' variety which is incorporated into Exmouth's Coat of Arms.
The landscape artist, Conrad Martins, born in London in 1801, moved to Exmouth in 1882 where he lived in Elm Cottage which was the former manor house, on this site. From 1833 to 1834, he was the ship's artist on the Beagle and wrote to Charles Darwin for many years. He is regarded as an important Australian water colour artist and died in Sydney in 1878.